Following the lead of 3M, Google, and many other giants of innovation, the 20% Time in the Classroom project models a successful business practice by giving students approximately 20% of their class time to design and execute a project of their choosing. There are many variations, but our project must meet the following guidelines:
- Impact your community in a positive way.
- Answer a guiding question or solve a problem.
- Connect to science (at least tangentially).
- Track your progress through measurable goals.
- Think big. Then make it bigger.